Saturday, April 20, 2013

Procrastination

http://thoughtcatalog.com/2013/procrastination-is-not-laziness/

This is a really really good article about procrastination. I can relate to this more than the procrastination workshop by rosemary gosling which i attended...

I finally know why i procrastinate. I think it's the fear of uncertainty and the unwillingness to take risks. I am afraid of injuring myself; be it mentally or physically. I am scared that i will never recover from an injury, and so this worrywart prefers to procrastinate. Procrastinating makes things a little better. Hesitating can eventually lead to avoidance. And being able to avoid things as far as possible would perhaps be better for me.

I inferred this from my unwillingness to participate in sports, because i am afraid of falling. I am scared of pain. I really dislike pain. There are deeper emotional reasons involved, which i am not even sure myself.

Maybe it's that fall off the stairs when i was 2. Maybe it's because i can never fit in with kindergarten friends coz i liked to be different. At age 6, when all the girls liked pink power ranger, and i said i liked yellow ranger, insisted on liking yellow, when deep down i actually hated it. And perhaps its from all those other incidents that i don't even have a memory of.

Whatever reason it is, this procrastination habit really has to go. I am always thankful to those friends who pulled me out to study, and watching others study gives me the motivation to study. I am thankful to my parents for being the driving force behin me (to prevent being nagged at, i would do the things i need to do). I am thankful to He Zhou, my senior, who always commented that i am very "strong", finishing my work promptly and accurately. Whether or not he meant it, it has been a good form of encouragement for me especially at work. I guess that's the reason why i always finish my work quickly. Definitely good to work with him.

I am the kind of person who need lots of motivation and encouragement to complete things. Otherwise, i would continue to procrastinate (especially at household chores or shopping for essentials). It's a good thing that i have the habit of giving my all once i get started, but its always the beginning that is hard.

Yes i will not procrastinate at the library tmr! Study hard and all the best for my exams!!

No comments: